Long Term Investment in St. Landry Parish
- Over $400 million capital investment in 2 years
- Potential to add an additional $350 million capital investment in the future
High Value Jobs
- Over 300 construction jobs
- At least 120 permanent jobs – average annual salary over $60,000
- Over 140 indirect jobs
- Potential to grow with expansion
- Additional $35 million revenue to St. Landry Parish over 30 years, plus additional sales and inventory taxes
- Public-Private partnership opportunities for Parish and communities
- No increased cost to the Parish for municipal services or infrastructure
Underground salt caverns have been used to safely store oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids (NGLs) and other liquid hydrocarbons since the late 1930’s. The entire U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR), which is our nation’s emergency oil supply, is stored 100% in underground salt dome caverns in Louisiana and Texas just like the ones at HEH.
Salt is nearly impermeable to the flow of gas or oil, which eliminates the risk of the product leaking. Under the tremendous pressure underground, the salt is actually self-sealing, making it exceptionally safe and secure.
There will be no fracking or any other kind of drilling for oil or natural gas.
No Dangerous Chemicals or Fumes
The only product we use to create the cavern is fresh water, with no additional chemicals or additives. The liquid products will be stored and transported in sealed caverns, tanks, or pipes in compliance with all state and federal regulations
Protection for the community water supply
As was done with Bobcat Gas Storage, excess brine will be inject into existing saltwater bearing zones, approximately 6,000 feet below the surface. It never mixes with the local water supply, which is less than 500 feet below the surface. The local water supply will be monitored during the cavern creation process, and the results will be available to the public
Being a successful company means being a responsible company.
At Hazelwood, we believe that businesses have a responsibility for more than just the “bottom line,” and that being successful is not possible unless we are also a proactive, environmentally focused member of the community.
- Protecting our Environment – Hazelwood is committed to minimizing our footprint and upholding the highest safety standards.
- Supporting our Community – We are proud to partner with local organizations as well as support our employee’s community involvement and volunteerism.
- Caring for our Employees – The Health and Safety Policy will direct that our employees’ health and safety be a priority, and that all employees will be trained and empowered in site security, accident investigation and emergency preparedness.
- Managing our Resources – Our guiding principle is to do more with less — keeping our impact low and our efficiency high.
- Meet or Exceed All Safety Regulations – Our caverns are many times further from the edge of the salt dome.